Soccer | November 21, 2021
*USC welcomes independent No. 13 BYU to the Coliseum for only the second time. ESPN will broadcast the night game.
*This is the last appearance at the Coliseum for the senior Trojans, who will be honored before the game.
* This is a rare Thanksgiving week game when USC isn’t playing Notre Dame or UCLA (Trojans have won most of those contests).
* USC – needing to win its last 2 games to become bowl eligible – was originally scheduled to face BYU in its 2021 regular season finale, but now Troy’s game on Dec. 4 in California will wrap up the regular season after its postponement from Nov. 13 due to COVID-19 concerns in the Bears program.
*Two members of the Trojan coaching staff have played at BYU.
* Interim Head Coach Gives WilliamsClub USC dropped their cross-town rivalry game against UCLA last Saturday, allowing an opponent a game-high 62 points. True freshman QB Jaxson Dart showed pretty well against the Bruins in his first career start, replacing the injured QB Kedon Slovis. WR Gary Bryant Jr. had a big day against UCLA, with personal bests in receptions and receiving yards, while TB Vavae Malepeai ran for a career-high 3 TDs. TB Keaontay Ingram is within 100 yards of a 1,000 yard rush season. HE B Kana’i Mauga, who had a record 14 tackles against the Bruins, continues to lead the Trojans in tackles. Also against the Bruins, S Xavion Alford snatched his third interception in 2 games, while CB Chris Steel got his second pick of 2021. WR Drake Londondespite breaking his ankle in Game 8 and being sidelined, remains a top contender for the Biletnikoff Award and All-American honors based on his impressive work in 2021 (88 catches, 1,084 yards, 7 hits).
* Head coach Kalani Sitake’s BYU club, fresh off a road win at Georgia Southern (the school that recently signed former USC head coach Clay Helton for the 2022 season) , is 4-0 against the Pac-12 in 2021. The Cougar offense, in the top 20 in the nation for total offense and passing efficiency, is led by QB Jaren Hall. Talented RB Tyler Allgeier, in his second consecutive 1,000-yard rushing season to rank eighth on BYU’s career ladder, is in the national Top 10 in rushing, rushing and scoring touchdowns. The main Cougar receivers are WRs Neil Pau’u, Puka Nacua and Gunner Romney. BYU’s defense is in the National Top 10 in turnover margin and steals. The best defenders are LBs Ben Bywater and Payton Wilgar and DB Malik Moore, who has 3 interceptions this year. PK Jake Oldroyd, whose overtime placement beat USC in 2021, had scored 16 consecutive field goals before missing earlier this year.
*USC is not ranked in current AP sports media and USA Today coaching polls. BYU is 13th by AP and 15th by USA Today.
*USC is 2-1 against BYU, with wins in the first 2 meetings (35-18 at home in 2003 and 42-10 on the road in 2004) and an overtime loss at Provo in 2019, 30- 27.
* In 2019, when the teams last met, PK Jake Oldroyd threw a 43-yard field goal early in overtime, then BYU intercepted a third pass on No. 24 USC’s subsequent possession to preserve the 30- 27 of the Cougars. on Trojans on a hot afternoon (upper 80s) in Provo. USC P.K. Chase McGrath tied the game with 1:43 left on a career 52-yard field goal. After Oldroyd’s basket in overtime, CB Dayan Ghanwoloku intercepted an angled pass by QB Kedon Slovis give victory to BYU.
*USC is 40-51-5 against current FBS independent schools: 2-1 against BYU, 2-0 against Army, and 36-50-5 against Notre Dame (not including 1 win vacated due to penalty NCAA; original record: 41-51-5 overall, 37-50-5 against Notre Dame).
USC AGAINST. UTAH SCHOOLS
* Besides its 2-1 record against BYU, USC is 6-0 against Utah State and 13-7 against Utah.
*USC has an all-time record of 266-136-20 (.654) playing in the month of November (not including 3 wins vacated due to NCAA penalty; original record: 269-136-20 , 0.656).
AT THE COLOSSEUM
*USC has an all-time record of 454-145-27 (.747) at the Coliseum since the stadium opened in 1923 (not including 6 wins vacated due to NCAA penalty; original record: 460 -145-27, 0.749). USC’s 632 games played at the Coliseum (including 6 vacated wins) are the third that any school has played at its home stadium (behind Georgia Tech’s 712 at Bobby Dodd Stadium and the 635 of Tennessee at Neyland Stadium).
*USC is 183-73-4 (.712) at night, including 108-34-4 in the Colosseum, 60-31 on the road, and 15-8 at neutral sites. (Does not include 5 wins and 1 loss vacated due to NCAA penalty; original record: 188-74-4, .714 overall, 111-34-4 at Coliseum, 17-9 at neutral venues, USC had a school-record 32-game winning streak at home on the night from 1997 to 2010.)
NON-ND/UCLA IN THANKSGIVING WEEK
* It will only be the 13th time since 1926 that USC will not face Notre Dame or UCLA when the Trojans had a game scheduled during Thanksgiving week (the Irish first came on the Troy schedule in 1926, the Bruins in 1929). Other years: 1926 (Montana), 1929 (Washington), 1930-32-34-41 (Washington), 1933 (Georgia), 1965 (Wyoming), 1978 (Hawaii), 1985 (Oregon), 1999 (Louisiana) Tech) and 2017 (Stanford). The Trojans have won all of these games except the 1934 and 1941 games in Washington. Last year’s game against Colorado scheduled for Saturday Thanksgiving weekend was canceled due to COVID-19 concerns in the USC schedule.
*USC has 2 players from Utah (QB Jaxson Dart from Corner Canyon HS and ILB Taylor Katoa of Layton HS), while BYU has 20 Californians on its roster.
*USC defensive line coach Vic So’oto was a 4-year letter winner (2005-07-09-10) at BYU, where he started his career as a tight end and played his last 3 seasons in defense (linebacker and defensive end).
* USC Defensive Quality Control Analyst CJ Oh you started his college playing career at BYU (2001, 03) before transferring. His father, Charles Sr. (1973-75), and brother, Matt (2003-04, 08), played football at BYU, his nephew, Chaz Ah You, is a junior linebacker at BYU, his cousins, Kingsley (1992-93) and Harland (1995-97) Ah You, played football at BYU and his brother, Jasen Ah You, is the Director of Player Recruiting and Personnel at BYU.
*USC ILB taylor KatoaEliza’s sister was an outside hitter on the Utah women’s volleyball team (2014-16) and also played on the Utes beach volleyball team in 2017.
*QB USC Jaxson Dart‘s father, Brandon, was a safety at Utah (1994-96, 1999-2000).
* USC Graduate Assistant Coach Toa Lobendahn‘s father, Vince, was a lineman at Utah (1990-93) and was also a graduate assistant coach at BYU (1998-99).
*USC ILB Solomon TuliaupupuUtah’s father, Turnbull, was an offensive lineman in Southern Utah (2000-01) and Solomon spent part of his youth in Utah.
* USC Defensive Quality Control Analyst Brett ArcedThe father of was an assistant basketball coach at Utah State.
* BYU Director of Football Strength and Conditioning Nu’u Tafisi was assistant strength and conditioning coach at USC in 2015.
BUY TICKETS FULL PLAYING NOTES (PDF)