Monte Vista Newspaper | A young family loses everything in a house fire on Monday morning

0

CENTER — A woman, her boyfriend, two children and their dogs are safe after a fire at their Center home on Monday. However, the family said they had lost everything they owned.

At 2:28 a.m. on Monday, October 24, the Central Fire Department was dispatched to a house fire in the 600 block of Miles Street. When firefighters arrived on the scene, they found the house already filled with smoke and the fire contained inside.

In the minutes before the CFD was dispatched, one of the home’s residents, 21-year-old Devon Valdez, awoke with difficulty breathing. He discovered that the small house in the Center where Valdez lives with his girlfriend, Brisa Castillo, 21, and his two children, ages 2 and 4, was filled with smoke. He woke Castillo up and when the two entered the living room, flames could be seen running up the wall next to the woodstove.

Castillo’s children were spending the night with his mother and Valdez and Castillo were able to evacuate without any injuries. Their dogs, which are “outside” dogs, were in the yard and were also uninjured.

Valdez immediately contacted the Downtown Police Department who dispatched the Downtown Fire Department.

Valdez said fire crews — including 12 firefighters — arrived on the scene no more than 10 minutes after being dispatched.

Center fire chief Russell Brown said crews were able to put out the blaze fairly quickly and no other structures were affected. He said the smoke damage inside the house is extensive. His team remained on site until about 4:30 a.m.

Meanwhile, the young family said they had lost everything.

Valdez, who works for the Alamosa School District’s grounds department, said he was “in shock.”

“It’s still kind of hard to believe this happened to our family,” he said.

Castillo, who worked at the High Valley Community Center daycare center in Del Norte until he recently took a job with Abba Eye Care in Alamosa, said they haven’t told the kids yet.

“It’s all gone,” she said.

One of the first family members contacted by Valdez was his uncle Jeremy Silva, best known for independently organizing campaigns to provide new shoes and backpacks full of supplies to school-aged children in the city. valley.

“My nephew and his family have nothing,” Silva said. “They had no rental insurance and everything they owned was destroyed in the fire.”

Silva said he hopes the people of the valley will reach out to his nephew’s family and has created a go fund me page which can be found on gofundme.com by searching for “Brisa Castillo”.

The family also accommodates all household items and children’s clothing, girl size 4t-5t and shoe size 9-10 and boy size 5-6t and shoe size 13c. Anyone interested in donating household items or clothing can contact Silva at 719-849-0380.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.