Husband, father dies of COVID-19; leaves the young family in shock


Rob Surkovic lost his battle with COVID-19 on New Years Day.

The tragedy of one of the most recent deaths from COVID-19 in St. Albert is compounded by many factors. An effort has now been undertaken to try to alleviate the suffering of the rest of the Surkovic family as they struggle in the aftermath.

The moment also allowed his wife to speak out about the pandemic.

Rob Surkovic was just 51, his wife Jennifer said as she began to explain the traumatic circumstances that took place in the last month of 2021. The family, which includes two school-aged children, is still taking care of it.

It was in mid-December that Rob first developed symptoms, receiving confirmation of a positive COVID-19 test the very next day. A pre-existing lung condition prevented him from receiving the vaccine.

“He was home sick for a week before things got really scary. At that point he finally told me to call the ambulance because he was so weak,” Jennifer said.

Pandemic precautions meant she couldn’t be in the same room as paramedics. Within minutes, she explained, they had him out on a stretcher.

“None of us even got to say goodbye or anything. It all happened so fast, but that image of their dad being kidnapped just won’t go away for my kids.

Rob was a retired chef who chose to end his career at GEF Seniors Housing. Myotonic muscular dystrophy weakened his lung and heart muscles, leaving him with a pacemaker.

The risks of cardiac complications caused by the vaccine worried him to the point of delaying the vaccination. He hoped more evidence would prove that he was sure enough. “He ran out of time,” Jennifer continued.

Jennifer’s diagnosis of COVID-19 extended until her husband’s hospitalization began, and she was unable to see him during that time.

“He was in intensive care and within three days he was in a coma and on a ventilator. I couldn’t see him while he was conscious. By the time I got there, his lungs and muscles around his heart were so damaged that even if he somehow got away with it, his lungs would never work again,” she said. declared.

His chances of recovery were close to zero. On January 1, she had to make the heartbreaking decision to turn off the ventilator. She praised the medical professionals at the hospital for their work.

Jennifer said she was frustrated with the public health guidelines and the way they were reported. The precautions haven’t stopped the transmissions, and none of that makes sense to her.

“Everything is so counterproductive or contradictory that I’m just at the point where it can’t be stopped,” she said.

“My husband is not the only one and will not be the last.”

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help Jennifer with Rob’s funeral costs and to help the family recover financially. He had raised just over a third of his $10,000 goal on Monday night.


About Author

Comments are closed.