Police: Brigham Young University student causes explosion in dormitory

0

A fire in a dormitory kitchen at Brigham Young University caused “extensive damage” and displaced 22 residents Sunday afternoon, according to campus police.

A student was preparing homemade “rocket fuel,” a potent mixed drink, on the stove when the mixture exploded in a “ball of fire” around 4:30 p.m. Sunday, BYU police said.

“Flames from the explosion had engulfed the walls and ceiling around the stove and the intense heat set off the fire sprinkler system. Firefighters quickly secured the scene and were able to extinguish the remnants of the fire,” police wrote in a statement posted on Facebook.

Campus police are asking students to “keep your experiments in the lab and supervised by trained professionals.”

In a follow-up statement posted Monday on Facebook, police thanked the Provo, Utah, fire department and BYU employees for their assistance. They urged students to use this incident as a learning experience.

“It is clear that this situation could have been much worse and we are grateful that no one was injured,” police wrote. “We urge students to be aware of the circumstances around them and to consider how their actions may affect not only themselves, but others as well.”

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.