Explosion displaces Brigham Young University students after resident tries to make rocket fuel in dorm: cops

0

A Brigham Young University student’s attempt to make homemade rocket fuel ended in an explosion in his dorm over the weekend. Now firefighters are warning students to ‘keep your experiments in the lab’ as 22 students are displaced following the fire explosion.

No one was injured in Sunday’s explosion in Provo, Utah.

“Clearly this situation could have been much worse and we are grateful that no one was injured,” the BYU Police Department said in a statement.

It all started around 4:30 p.m. Sunday, when local firefighters and campus police were summoned to a building in the Heritage Halls dormitory to respond to a fire alarm, tripping sprinklers and flooding downstairs.

They later discovered that one of the dorm’s residents had allegedly tried to make homemade rocket fuel on the dorm’s kitchen stove “when the volatile mixture suddenly exploded into a ball of fire,” authorities said. .

Flames from the explosion had engulfed the walls, and although sprinklers were able to contain the damage and firefighters were able to put out the rest of the fires, the experience left scorch marks on the walls and ceilings of the room. kitchen, photos shared by authorities showed.

Following the sprinklers and the intervention of firefighters, the dormitory was flooded, displacing 22 residents.

Although the student in question does not face any charges, authorities have urged students to “please keep your experiments in the lab and supervised by qualified professionals.”

Related stories

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.